Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cairo Syndrome...

Could you hold the sun with bare palm
cupped milking summer 
to ooze through your fingers?
There's no clouds to shield faces
soft white 20 variants of sensitive 
A grim desert vestment
Melting in sunlight reserved for
ancient courts and 
celestial movements

Rooftop sunsets of satellite dishes 
suspect movement in slums
Hungry street kittens crying
for mothers milk and crumbs
My eyes hanging fixed
on minarets and ears tuned to
sweeping vocal chanting
bass vibrato
The meaning of life

Alarm clock set as Holy
sunrise and sensual
caressing of tender souls
The smell of lavish past lives
in glorious Cairo
The marble and whitewash
united with sheesha smoke
and falafel
Billboards for Pepsi when I,
I rather mint tea and a Marlboro

Bodies in bandages not unlike my father
though this time I saw the face
This ancient history exposed
in glass case
I thought about their many frowns
Looking long at long dead men and women
who once ruled lands as Gods
Built in honour of their divinity
Superiority through stone over slave Jews
and the uneducated
This decay was once a Pharaoh!
A Pharaoh! This decay!

Oh my, there's the death mask of Tutankhamun!

No comments:

Post a Comment